Pages

Monday, 16 June 2014

Clothing sizes

Ever since I moved to Turkey to live, I have always puzzled over the differences in the sizes of clothes.

There are many charts on the internet which convert international clothing sizes, but Turkey is mentioned nowhere amongst them.

I now know that if I want to buy trousers or skirts, which in England would be size 12 to 14 (depending on the shop),  here that would be size 40 or 42.  If I want to buy tops then I have to have sizes 14 to 16, which are 42 or 44.  These are standard European sizes.  Of course if I was in the US, a size 12 would be a size 10.

My shoe size is 6, which is 39 here, the same as Europe.

When it comes to buying underwear, bras in particular, there is no logic in the sizing.  I want a size 36 (UK size) so I have to get a size 80 here.   Size 80 is the same all over Europe.....ah...except for France and Spain where it is size 95.   The size of the cup is the same as UK, ie A, B, C, D.  If I lived in Australia, however, a D cup would be a C cup.

With international travel so commonplace these days, wouldn't it make  sense to have a standard International sizing system?

Last night Mr A came home.  As usual after midnight.  We were both up at 6am today.  I had attempted to shower the four big dogs yesterday with the hosepipe.  Megan was fine, although not keen on her feet being touched.  Freddie just tried to escape from his collar.  Blondie lay on her back and refused to stand.  I managed to wash her though, but I shouldn't have bothered, because she immediately rolled around in the dirt and ended up worse than before.   Sammy?  He just disappeared and refused to come when I called him.

So we've given up on washing them and Mr A gave them a through brush this morning, which has spruced them up.

We set off to Kipa (supermarket) this morning to do some shopping.   Kipa is owned by the UK company Tesco, and it means that I can often find such items as Heinz baked beans and Bisto gravy.  But they also sell clothes, which are very reasonably priced.

Because of all the aforementioned problems with sizing, I tend to buy my bras on my trips to England.  If I had gone in April I would have bought them then, but as I didn't my current bras have gradually disintegrated.  So I decided to look in Kipa.   They had a pack of two in my size, and I tried one on just to make sure.   I also picked up a pack of two stretch seamless panties.  Then the rest of the food shopping, and back home, Mr A setting off for work at 9.30am

I took out the panties and discovered that the security tag was still on them, joining them together.  (how did I get through the door without sounding the alarm?  No idea but it makes you wonder whether this security system actually works).  Anyway, shops have a special tool for removing these tags, and I really couldn't be bothered to go back to Milas on the bus to get it removed.  So I tried for about an hour to remove it.  Eventually it came off, but it ripped a tiny hole in each pair of panties.  Aargh!  I sewed up the tiny holes and I think they will be OK.

I removed the price tags from the two bras, and discovered that the adjustable strap on one of them had been threaded wrongly before stitching, so the strap was twisted.   The only way this could be rectified would be to cut the strap, re-thread and re-stitch.

By this time I was thinking I should return them at some point so I searched for the receipt, only to find that I hadn't been charged for the bras.  The panties were on the receipt (maybe that has something to do with the security tag not setting off the alarm?  Who knows?).

So I made a decision.  I cut the strap, re-threaded and re-stitched and it's fine.  It's perhaps a little dishonest to keep them when I haven't paid for them, but I am justifying this action by convincing myself that I was already inconvenienced with the damage done to the panties by them leaving the security tag on.   I'm telling myself that it kind of makes Kipa and I quits...do you agree?

14 comments:

  1. Sizing can be even crazy here in the states. My mom recently my mom bought be a pair of pants for Christmas. Normally, I would have no problem with the size, but this particular stores size measurement was no where near the standard. I couldn't even the pants over my thighs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Kelleyn. You can't rely on sizing whichever country you live in. It's annoying having to try everything on before buying.

      Delete
  2. That was an adventure with those undies....not one of them but each item seemed to have a problem...poor Ayak. My daughter and I bought some undies at the 'pazar' in Karsiyaka....after two washes we chucked them out, they un-threaded and ripped.
    There is a Kipa near us in Izmir and I just like to go and get some American cheese there which they call Cheeseburger Cheese and look at Pasabahce glassware that we keep cracking...otherwise I don't look at anything else. Well ok I fibbed I get some candy there also.
    My daughter asked what is Tesco??...I never heard of it I told her...someone told her you can shop there. Is it like Target or Walmart???

    Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was just unlucky with these items Erica. I must say that things I have bought from Kipa to date have turned out to be very good quality, and the prices very good.

      Although I've heard of Walmart (not Target though) I don't really know what sort of quality they sell so I can't compare with Tesco?

      Delete
  3. yup - in fact I'd write and complain as well (not mentioning the lack of payment just the lack of ability to get back to the store ) and tell them to send you a replacement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KV...gone are the days of living in the UK when one could complain about faulty good and get immediate replacements. Ask anyone living in Turkey how difficult it is to complain about such things here, let alone get a refund or replacement. Oh and as for guarantees..not worth the paper they're written on....particularly electrical goods. You can buy something, get it home to find it doesn't work, but the store won't replace it. It will be sent away to be repaired. It may come back and go wrong again, and yet again it will be sent away for repair. This will happen 3 times before replacement and can take months.

      As for laptops, tablets, etc. in the past I have twice had a laptop sent away because it has failed...still under guarantee, and both times told it couldn't be repaired as there was liquid spilt inside, (which I know was not the case) and not covered by the guarantee. Both times we had to find someone local to repair and pay.

      I once bought an electric toaster which didn't work when I got it home. I took it back to the shop and made a fuss. They refused to refund my money. The next time I went to buy a toaster I took two slices of bread with me, and insisted that the shop plug in the toaster for me to try. They were reluctant, but eventually gave in.

      Delete
  4. I am just fat Ayak, in any country. I totally agree with the replacement thing, you just have to buy another. I am on my 3rd DVD player in 9 years, and as my house is only used about 12 weeks per year and not even daily, you wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you wonder auntiegwen, although I have a theory about electrical goods here. I reckon all the good stuff is exported, leaving the faulty ones for the Turkish market. Nothing electrical lasts very long here, in my experience.

      Delete
  5. I hate shopping for clothes because I have to try everything as as the sizes mean nothing. I am actually wearing my clothes out for the first time in my life as I hate buying new ones so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hate buying clothes BtoB. Unfortunately, underwear falling to bits means shopping is a necessity. Other than that, my wardrobe hasn't changed much at all since I moved here.

      Delete
  6. I too hate buying clothes, so my wardrobe is looking decidedly shabby. But whenever i do decide to buy something, i really have to try it on as even within the UK sizing varies. one makers 14 is another's 16. Sigh... Given the problems you had with the panties and the fact the bra strap was twisted, I don't think you need to lose any sleep over it, Ayak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm definitely not feeling the least bit guilty about it today Perpetua :-)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like one big headache! It would make more sense to have everything nationalised size wise! It'll never happen though.

    Weird the way the tag didn't *go off* with the pants and yet you'd paid for them & the tag wasn't removed. Yet the bras didn't have a tag & yet you say they weren't paid for. Makes me think that they got the bras and the pants muddled when you were cashing out. I have a headache just thinking about it!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On reflection I wish the alarm had gone off Maggie. At least then the tags would have been removed and I wouldn't have had holes in the panties!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x